Sunday, October 31, 2010

Dr. Moreland and a Surprise from my Brother

Dr. Moreland has come and gone. We learned much about philosophy and how to do it well. We talked about the evidence of Yaweh,the work of the holy spirit, angels, demons, and more. The last night he was here he encouraged us in the christian life. WOW! So good to hear. He pretty much talked about the triangle kingdom: The life of the Mind, Spritiual formation-discipline of character formation, and spiritual life in the Kingdom and Holy Spirit. He gave his testimony of his commitment of being Jesus' disciple more than anything in life, even above being married! This struck me straight to the heart:) Why am I here? What is the purpose of the christian life? How can I have happiness or human flourishing? To be fully pregnant with passion, honesty, and truth? It happens by becoming like Christ and being his disciple. I want my #1 priority to be that. To learn to give myself away to other people for Jesus' sake and not to live as though I am the main character in this story.
 The three things emphasized in the Kingdom Triangle: Life of the Mind. To be couragious in thinking. To know why I belive what I believe. Dont be intimidated by those who dont believe like me.Study the Word. Be around those you will stimulate and challenge my thinking. Danger in this- Knowledge puffs up. Solution to this: Humility; not forgetting from where I came, my stuggles and pains. Spritiual Disciplines- To presend my body as an intrument of righteosness. To make habbit that form my character of one that glorifies God. To make disciplines of gratitude. Seeing the glass half full. Giving thanks through out the day. Supernatural Life:Pray specifically and expect more, knowing there is a supernatural world, I must not live as though there is not one. Dr. Moreland told us many stories that can't be explained but by the fact that it is something supernatural. (ex. Muslim lady having dream of Jesus coming to her saying I am the way the truth and the life- seek me. And the next day she found the Jesus film in the street with the same face of Jesus she saw in her dream and then she watched it and she and her whole family were converted to chritianity. He told of amazing testements of a lady seeing 3 specific angles around him when he was sick in the hospital and 7 years later when he was going though depression he asked God to help me believe He was real and to send angels and didnt tell anyone else of this prayer. The next day in class a student saw the same 3 angels standing around him and drew a picture of them. He told Dr. moreland the next day and he described them just as the lady 7 years before did with a tall angel in the middle. I was so encouraged by his faith and story. A couple of days ago I was sitting with Dr. moreland talking to him about philosophy and prayer when all of a sudden I saw 3 people some into the side door to the dining room. I then looked and saw... Wait, could it be?!! Yes it is!! my brother Barton!! HE came! To surpise me. And he did just that! I ran to engage in a huge bear hug. We washed dishes last night and talked about video games and how to talk to kids who are addicted to them. I love having him around. He leaves tomorrow. We will be going to the grocery store soon and then maybe take a walk later. Praise God for family.
  Im going to work on my sonnet now. This assigment intimidates me. But I must follow through.

Today is sunny, breezy and beautiful. Fortunate=me:)

Miss you....
 

1 comment:

  1. Sarah! Awesome post - makes me want to join you there :) Just wanted to tell you that I miss your smiling face :)
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete