Sunday, October 17, 2010

"A Cinnamon Test"


WEEK 5
 Last night a few girls and I came together in the kitchen to make some apple pies along with some Pumpkin pies in preparation for Canadian Thanksgiving today. In this process of rolling out dough, mixing scruptious ingredients together and getting our aprons dirty, Daniel asked "Anyone want to do a cinnamon test?" This sounded like a fun and exciting idea. "Yes, I will do it!" I said with enthusiasm thinking this must be an experience I mustn't give up. "NO! Sarah. I cant let you." I guess this isn't such an enjoyable experience, I thought, but "Ill do it anyway!" And so, after he finished filling the spoon with overflowing amounts of this spice he handed the spoon over hesitantly. With 6 or so  fellow class mates watching with eagarness, I opened my mouth not knowing what my senses were about to feel. After I put the heaping amount of cinnamon on my tongue I couln't help but to inhale this stong scent. The next thing I new I was coughing, choking, eyes tearing, gasping for air and ran to the sink to quench my hunger for water. The next 15 minutes were filled with wetting my mouth and struggling to make a clear sentence. The background sounds were full of laughter and "Sarah, are you ok?" 
   
   I thought I would write on a lighter note. Not such a light experience for me during the moment, but lighter in reading.
 Dr. B has left us for the next 2 weeks. I will miss him greatly and his thoughts on life as well as the way he causes me to think through the statements and questions that fill my mind. I talked with him along with a few other students the day he left on the front poarch of the great lodge. It was a warm, clear and breezy day. I had with me my favorite notepad of questions with the heading on every page: "LOOK AT THE FISH". This concept of looking at a question for a long time to understand the answer is something I will never want to forsake; a valueble lesson for which I'm greatful. I asked him what has made him doubt and how he has handled that doubt. He said he has never doubted God but the character of God as well as the spriritual life. I asked Him what has made him confident in knowing there is a God. He said the biggest evidence is the resurrection. "What is the abundant life" I asked. "Look at the gospels, Look at Jesus." "So, having the mind of Christ is the abundant life?" "Yes" Dr. B said. This revelation has been so rewarding and freeing. The answer seems to always go back to Christ. 
  
   This morning as I was sitting at the table for breakfast, a tall man with a white beard approached us and sat down. I thought to myself "Is that Dr. Williams?" "What's your name?"I asked. "I am Gandolf." he replied. "OH MY!! I've always wanted to meet you Gandolf!! My name is Sarah." I said while standing up and offering my hand to meet him with a hardy shake. We both laughed followed with discussion on 'The Lord of the Rings'. I told him his mission this week will be to change my mind about this book and movie. I've never been interested in fictional books. At times I feel like an outcast when Im surrounded by hard core 'Lord of the Rings' fans.I'd rather read books for education and spiritual growth. When I told him this, he responded with..."Ooohh. You mean you are like Edmund who only reads books on education and doesn't understand anything when entering into the land of Narnia." I asked him the differences between being a wizard and a witch, from where do they received their powers and I also asked him what he thought of 'Harry Potter'. I trust he will wet my appetite for these books by the end of this week of having him for our proffesor. Im looking foward to learning about poetry and humanity from him.

  Asking questions has become my new favorite hobby. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like I would like this Gandalf fellow.. :o) I agree with him - there are plenty of fictitious books out there that are a complete waste of time, but the GOOD ones, the ones that are really worth reading, always have glimpses or parallels to THE story - HIS story - the interaction between God and man, salvation, law vs. grace, etc. That's why I always love reading books like the Chronicles of Narnia, or even books like Les Miserables - because sometimes hearing those concepts in a different, creative way can make us understand them more clearly or gain insight into the greater Truth they represent. Not that the Bible isn't sufficient alone - it certainly is - but sometimes books like that can give you a "foot in the door" to witnessing to someone who wouldn't read the Bible but would read "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" or something like that.... I'll be curious to hear about your conversations about LOTR. I've always been a bit uncomfortable with that one too, since the "good guy" is a wizard, which is clearly condemned in the Bible. It's different than in Narnia, where the witch is obviously evil...

    So what were you "testing" with the cinnamon test? And did you prove anything? (Other than the fact that you should avoid taking challenges from that particular friend? ;o)) Hope your tongue has recovered.... Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,
    I love fiction :)
    I'll be waiting to hear also. Like Beth - I've never been comfortable with LOTR - how can something my Father considers an abomination be "good"?
    Harry Potter has, unfortunately, done more to promote witchcraft to young people than anything in a long time. Just makes you wonder...
    Love you!
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete